Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sheet, I can't do it.

I wish I could tell you I'm little Susie Homemaker and the dreaded "how in the heck do I fold a fitted sheet" question didn't stump me. But I'd be lying if I said I was a pro.  I actually would appreciate if someone would purchase this sign for my laundry room (but in green and black ... so it matches ... that's not too much to ask is it?):


This past weekend my mother-in-law,  aka laundry master extraordinaire, was at my house while I was folding our bed sheets.  Now, I'm no fancy fitted sheet folder and my pride knew better, but nevertheless I made the mistake of folding our sheets in front of her.  As soon as I folded it, I looked at the heaping pile of mess and laughed out loud. To spare any ounce of pride I had left and to make sure everyone knew I didn't think I had done a good job, I was sure to say something along the lines of "Does anyone really know how to fold a fitted sheet? They've got to be the stupidest things!"  With that, she asked if I wanted her to show me how to fold them

 ... UHM ... Derrrrrr ... sure?! ...

You mean there is actually a real way to do this and people know about it? AHEM, why was I never let in on this secret?  How could my mother have forgotten to mention this to me when I was growing up?  Mind you, hubs was sitting at the kitchen counter the entire time ... looking at me like the complete failure I am.  DUNCE CAP please...

She then proceeded to show me exactly how to tuck the corners inside of one another, gather the remainder, and the 3-4 fold to make it all pretty. 

.OH.
.MY.
 .GOODNESS.
 .GRACIOUS.

 I was awestruck.  There really is a REAL WAY to do this.  And my genius mother-in-law has held the key to the secret garden this WHOLE TIME.  Geeeesh! With absolutely no exaggeration I'm pretty sure if you'd have put our finished products side by side, they would have appeared something like this 
(Susan's obviously on the left -- clearly mine on the right) 



Feeling like I now possessed every ounce of earthly knowledge, I had an itch to reorganize all of our linen closets and take all of our fitted sheets off the bed just to fold them appropriately.  Buuuuut then I simply reached down and scratched it and it was satisfied enough to go away.  Maybe on a rainy day.

I felt much better about myself however when my mom tweeted the following this week.  Mind you, this was completely unsolicited and absolutely ZERO conversation about the above incident had taken place.  So when I saw this come across my timeline I literally laughed out loud.  Oh Penny ... I truly am your daughter :0)


BUUUUT fortunately for her - her most beloved daughter can now share the world's best kept secret! The only problem was, madre was at the lake house and I know full and well I am no where near expert status enough (nor will I likely ever be) to even attempt to explain this via telephone.  So I googled it and replied back to her tweet.

Now, you can imagine my excitement when I received an overwhelming number of responses from my followers. They were just as surprised as me to see there really is an answer to one of life's greatest unsolved mysteries.  Yayyy! I can start to slowly remove my dunce cap.  So, I thought I would share with any of you who might be interested in unlocking the magical door to the mythical lair of fitted sheet folding.


Welllllll sheet ... who knew it was so easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~