Monday, September 23, 2013

Recipe Monday: Mini Meatloaf and Taters

For whatever reason in the world I was craving meatloaf the other night, and had some extra time so I decided to make it fancy. That's such an oxymoron. Fancy meatloaf? Okay, Katie.

Anywho, I was feeling inspired to make something better than just meatloaf (or at least make it look better) and I remembered seeing mini meatloaves one time while I was on a foodie Pinterest spree and decided to do my own take on the number. End result?  Meat Cupcakes (this was the first thing Shane said when he walked in the door, and as much as it makes me cringe ... he has a point). Sounds sick. Tastes delicious. 
I realized I should be taking pictures to share for recipe Monday way too late after I was already well into the meal prep. This was the moment I remembered. Whoops.
And, this was one of my "inspired chef meals", so I didn't use any real measurements ... so sharing with you how much I used of each ingredient is a ballpark guess ... So, bare with me.

Mini Mealoaf and Taters aka Meat Cupcakes

Ingredients:
Meatloaf

  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 3-4 tsp. Worcteshire sauce
  • 1/2 packet McCormick meatloaf flavor
  • 1 small onion finely chopped
  • 1/2 pablano pepper (green pepper would also work)
  • 1 tsp basil paste
  • 1 tbsp fresh garlic
  • 3-4 tbsp ketchup
  • 2 pinches kosher salt
  • 2 pinches black pepper
Mashed Taters
  • 1 bag small ruby red potatoes
  • 2 pinches dried basil
  • 2 handfuls cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup milk (this one's always tricky ... don't want too much or they're runny)
  • 2 pinches kosher salt
  • 2 pinches black pepper

Directions

Preheat Oven to 375 and let's get to work. Take off your rings, so you can get you hands all in the nitty gritty!

Okay the next step is the hardest part of the entire recipe, so pay very close attention.  Combine all meatloaf ingredients in large bowl.
Did you get all of the that? Sorry to be so complicated ;)

Next lightly spray a square corn muffin pan with cooking spray. Fill squares level with meatloaf mixture (I was able to get 9 mini meatloaves).
Next spread ketchup on top of the mini loaves. And then pop them in the oven for 30 minutes.
Now time for the taters!  While your meatloaf is under the heat, turn up the heat on the stove. Pending the size of your potatoes will determine boiling time, but usually with the small potatoes you can boil them in salted water about 20 minutes, keep the skin on because it makes them much prettier. Once the potatoes are soft and tender drain and give a light mash before adding the rest of your ingredients. Next, add all of your ingredients to bowl except for milk ... add this as your mix as needed so you don't get them too soupy.


About the time your taters are complete and delicious, should be about the same time your oven is dinging for the mini loaves! Place some of your taters in a baggy (or real piping bag if you have those type of things around your house) ... snip a small piece off the end off the baggy and swirl them around the top.
 This helps to make the meatloaf pretty and create the perfect meat cupcake.
Next pop em back in the oven on broil for about 2-4 minutes (just to make sure they're hot incase it takes a while to pipe ... and it will also brown the top of the taters to make em' look extra tasty). 
Let sit for about 2 minutes to let the sides harden up (this will make them easier to remove from the pan).  

Plate em' up and serve!  Meat Cupcakes. Yum-Ohhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~