Monday, October 28, 2013

Happy Birthday Penny!

Today is a very special day in the life of my main lady. 

It's Penny's birthday!!

We celebrated last weekend with quite the celebration and had such a great time!  We gathered the whole family, some friends too, and held "The First Annual Family Chili Cook-Off"!

We had some stellar labels and score cards, created by yours truly. I wasn't sure how many chili's we'd have, so I had way more entry space than actual number of entries, but I guess at least I don't have to worry about making new scorecards for quite some time!
We did as close to a blind tasting as possible (because my family is ridiculously competitive), so we put every one's crockpots in a separate room, and then served everyone a half of a little Dixie cup labeled with a number of a coordinating chili. Everyone got their own score card, their own tester cups, and a full belly!

After everyone had voted, we then opened up a free for all and at until our little hearts were content. Including a table full of fixins of course. Enough white and green onion, shredded cheese, hot sauce, corn muffins, oyster crackers, and sour cream to make every chili guru happy.

 It was a close race ... we had three people tie for overall winning chili's, so a tie breaker was in order! We had to break it down by actual number of votes. Vitor and Cris came away with the win beating Jon Ryan and Brooke by ONE POINT! They will forever be the first set of names on the family plaque. Ironically enough, this was Cris's first time ever making chili (they're from Brazil more on that here) and they still beat all of us! HA! Go figure.
After we'd eaten enough chili to make our little hearts content, we walked up to my parents barn in the woods to finish out the day shootin skeet. I mean really, is there anything better in the fall than a belly full of chili, football on the TV and shootin some guns while hangin' with the fam? Pretty sweet way to spend your birthday celebration I'd say ... or any day for that matter. 
Thank goodness Bernie was lookin out and got earplugs, because that helped the babes deal with the loud bangs. We all started out shooting the clay pigeons with a 20 gauge shotgun. Once we got the hang of the 20 we moved up to a 12 gauge, whew! That sucker had a little more kick! 
After everyone had hit at least one skeet (except for the birthday girl ... dang) we moved on to shootin pistols. I was TURRRRIBLE when it came to the hand guns. For some reason I couldn't seem to get a feel for the fact that I had to shoot a little below the target, because it kicked up so much. Oh well, it was fun.
Anywhoodles, more about the lady that this day was dedicated to. The best mom in all the land. And now, the best grandma there ever was. Bennett sure is a lucky little guy to have such a great lady in his life. I wish her the absolute best birthday ever. She is my bestest bestie in the whole world and brings so much light to my life. Happy Birthday Mom! We love you!

7 comments:

  1. wish you many many belated Penny's birthday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Where did you get this template for the scorecard? Its so cute and I would like to use for Halloween! Please and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I actually made it myself :) I'd be happy to send you the PDF - what is your email?

      Delete
    2. Hi I too would love to use your scorecard if you are still willing to share!?! Thank you so much in advance! misticrain82@hotmail.com

      Delete
  3. Hi! Where did you get this template for the scorecard? Its so cute and I would like to use for Halloween! Please and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also like to use your scorecard but could you please send me an original file as opposed to a pdf? Thank you! melaniercarlson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I love your scorecard! I would love it if you would send me an original file so I can make a fee adjustments. I am doing a Chili for Charity (Sub for Santa) and last year I had 15 entries so I need to make a second page with addtional letters. Thnak you, thank you! eschmidt@ccicom.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~