Monday, November 25, 2013

Recipe Monday: Buffalo Chicken Dip

The age-old football party/tailgate favorite: Buffalo Chicken Dip. There are so many variations that can be made to this recipe, but in the end they all come out the same ... DEEEELISH!  Plus HUGE bonus ... when you eat it as a dip, you don't have to worry about anyone seeing your treacherous wing eating face, getting that delectable sauce allover your cheekies or having to wear gloves because you have a cut on your finger and the wing sauce makes it sting.  Not that Shane or I have any knowledge in any of these departments or anything ...
Oh heavens he is going to KILL me, so worth it though.  Hehehe, okay so we hosted a couples baby shower this weekend, and I knew the food better be boy friendly.  Therefore, I thought this would be a great addition to the menu.

Hubs and I are ranch people, opposed to the bleu cheese connoisseurs ... so my recipe includes ranch, but feel free to substitute or add both for that matter if you want some bleu cheese in your recipe. Additionally, any shredded cheese works ... so don't feel like you need to buy anything in particular. Just use whatever amazing cheesy concoction you can scrounge up from your fat mold cheese drawer.

Buffalo Chicken Dip
Ingredients

  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese (reduced fat or the regular super fat kind will work)
  • 1/2 cup wing hot sauce (I use Frank's)
  • 1/2 cup ranch dressing (I use Ken's, but any ranch will do, even a thicker veggie dip kind would be fine. This is also where you could use bleu cheese if it tickles you fancy)
  • 2 cups shredded or chopped chicken (I buy a fryer chicken from Kroger because it has tons of flavor and it's super easy ... I've also made it with chicken thighs [cooked anyway you prefer] ... I know you can also buy canned white chunk chicken and use that too, but quite frankly that freaks me out. Meat in a can just shouldn't be allowed. Ever.)
  • 2 cups cheese (I use the cheddar blend, but again, any will do)
  • Serve with celery and Frito scoops ... so they're not part of the ingredients, but you'll wanna snag em' on your grocery run :)

Directions

There are 2 ways to make this goodness. Layered or mixed. I do both, but I think I've recently decided I like it mixed for a couple of reasons. First and most importantly, its the easiest Second, it ensures you get all of the mixture on your serving utensil (celery or Frito). You know how sometimes you get those "scared to dip" type of people? The ones that just dip the tip of their chip only halfway down in the mixture.  I want to grab them by the shoulders, shake them violently and scream "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH CREAM CHEESE YOU JUST LEFT AT THE BOTTOM!?!?!" And for that very reason, I think we should just all agree to mix it all. Capisch?

HOWEVER - if you want to layer it do so like this:

  • Spread cream cheese evenly among the bottom of an ungreased 1 qt shallow baking dish
  • Top with layer of your NON-CANNED chicken
  • Mix ranch and hot sauce together - pour over chicken
  • Finish her off by topping with your cheesy goodness
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (or until mixture is hot and bubbly and heated through)

But, I'd suggest the mix.  Pull chicken off the bone and chop into bite sized little pieces.
Next put all of the ingredients in a bowl.  Then stir them all together. Now plop em down in your 1 quart baking dish so they can get all warm and cozy together.
Finally, pop em in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Garnish with some baby celery/green onions/or extra cheese to give it a little prettiness.  Serve with celery and Frito's. Hello buffalo chicken heaven without sauce all over your hands and face. Sheer perfection!

1 comment:

  1. Hello there!! I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award, because I enjoy your blog and wanted to share it with others! Check out the deets over here - megandmee.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~