Monday, November 11, 2013

Recipe Monday: Spaghetti Squash

Real life: Hubs and I cooked and ate spaghetti squash and ... drum roll ... actually liked it!  Huge win!

Fall season brings on an abundance of crazed pumpkin people, and spaghetti squash to me fell amongst that category, therefore I was anti-spaghetti squash making. Low and behold, since Hubs and I are "dieting" to lose the rest of this baby weight, we're cutting back on pasta, so we had to succumb to trying it out to get our fix. As luck would have it, the ONLY one left in the entire store was the largest one I have ever seen in my life. Had to bring in the big guns to cut that bad boy!
Not a whole lot to this recipe. Basically I preheated my oven to 350 degrees, cute the squash in half, scraped out the seeds, drizzled with some olive oil and added a good amount of salt and pepper.
Placed the big honker in the oven, insides face down and let er' bake for about 30-40 minutes just until the inside was soft and tender.
Then, I pulled him out, and started scraping the insides with a fork and magically, spaghetti appears :)
We decided to dress it with some more olive oil this time because we wanted to really taste the flavor or the squash, and we added some meatballs and mushrooms to make for a good hearty dinner. It was by no means beautiful, but very tasty. Next time I plan to add marinara and take it an entirely new direction. Oh boy! ;)
And added bonus, we had TONS of leftovers. Not surprisingly, seeing the size of that big guys. But I pattied them up the next morning added some diced onion and had spaghetti squash hash browns for breakfast (forgot to take a picture). Double Win! 

Happy Cooking!

2 comments:

  1. That squash is HUGE!!! I've found that if you put it in the oven whole for about 20 minutes, its easier to cut in half. Then scrape out the seeds and do the prep and put it back in. Its going to be hot so use pot holders. I LOVE spaghetti squash!!

    -AJ
    FitTravelerAJ.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HUGE! Ridiculously large ;) Ohhh, I'll have to try that! I loved it too! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~