Hubs and I are ranch people, opposed to the bleu cheese connoisseurs ... so my recipe includes ranch, but feel free to substitute or add both for that matter if you want some bleu cheese in your recipe. Additionally, any shredded cheese works ... so don't feel like you need to buy anything in particular. Just use whatever amazing cheesy concoction you can scrounge up from your
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese (reduced fat or the regular super fat kind will work)
- 1/2 cup wing hot sauce (I use Frank's)
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing (I use Ken's, but any ranch will do, even a thicker veggie dip kind would be fine. This is also where you could use bleu cheese if it tickles you fancy)
- 2 cups shredded or chopped chicken (I buy a fryer chicken from Kroger because it has tons of flavor and it's super easy ... I've also made it with chicken thighs [cooked anyway you prefer] ... I know you can also buy canned white chunk chicken and use that too, but quite frankly that freaks me out. Meat in a can just shouldn't be allowed. Ever.)
- 2 cups cheese (I use the cheddar blend, but again, any will do)
- Serve with celery and Frito scoops ... so they're not part of the ingredients, but you'll wanna snag em' on your grocery run :)
There are 2 ways to make this goodness. Layered or mixed. I do both, but I think I've recently decided I like it mixed for a couple of reasons. First and most importantly, its the easiest Second, it ensures you get all of the mixture on your serving utensil (celery or Frito). You know how sometimes you get those "scared to dip" type of people? The ones that just dip the tip of their chip only halfway down in the mixture. I want to grab them by the shoulders, shake them violently and scream "DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH CREAM CHEESE YOU JUST LEFT AT THE BOTTOM!?!?!" And for that very reason, I think we should just all agree to mix it all. Capisch?
HOWEVER - if you want to layer it do so like this:
- Spread cream cheese evenly among the bottom of an ungreased 1 qt shallow baking dish
- Top with layer of your NON-CANNED chicken
- Mix ranch and hot sauce together - pour over chicken
- Finish her off by topping with your cheesy goodness
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (or until mixture is hot and bubbly and heated through)
But, I'd suggest the mix. Pull chicken off the bone and chop into bite sized little pieces.