Wednesday, April 16, 2014

My Old Chi Omega Home

This past weekend I took a fun-filled walk down memory lane ...
456 Rose Street at the University of Kentucky. The steamboat, the wedding cake, the chee, the home that holds amazing memories … The Chi Omega House.

Le Sigh.

So much happy in such a simple photo.

The Lambda Alpha Chapter of Chi Omega was chartered in 1914 and has now turned 100 years old! This past weekend was the Centennial Celebration and sisters from years past and present all came together to celebrate. SO COOL. There is so much history and so many memories for so many amazing ladies that are all centered around this same location, it seriously makes me so happy.
When I joined a sorority my freshman year, I was completely overwhelmed and had no idea what to expect. At first, it seemed a little superficial, a little forced, a lotta foreign, and incredibly overwhelming, but it quickly became apparent that it was also inspiring, challenging, bettering, comforting and ALOTTA fun. It also taught me some really great things about myself and life.
College itself is a great time...classmates, old friends, new friends, the entire "growing up" on your own and coming of age experience is second to none, but if I'm being 100% honest my sorority had a HELLUVA-lot to do with why I loved my college days so dearly. And side note: bigggg shout out to my parents for making all of aspirations and dreams of college and frat life a reality, without ever once batting an eye and trusting in my decisions, even though they were sometimes a little questionable ;)  My sorority sisters were by my side for all of it …

Additionally, I just started a list where I was naming everything they were to me so you could get the full effect... I got to 25 and deleted it, because I realized it's a little overkill. You get it. We were close. We were besties. A lot of us still are. And although I may have met them on my own, I credit Chi O for all of it and I'm not ashamed to say so.

Our Symphony was something I used to hear weekly. And, as cheesy as it may sound … It was neat to hear it again this weekend. The Symphony's notes are played across 173 campuses in America. Sisterhoods are strengthened on a daily basis; handshakes are being exchanged, songs are being sung, and oaths are being vowed. We are part of a tradition that has lasted over a century; women have been playing the Symphony long before we ever heard it. But the tune still rings louder than ever just as I and so many have promised to be a "symphony of high purpose and helpfulness in which there is no discordant note."
And BIGGG news … that steamboat that you see pictured above is getting a MUCH NEEDED makeover! HOLLLLLAAAAA. Check her out … I can't wait to see her when she's finished!

Anywhoodles, it was a great weekend. I also managed to throw in a little Keeneland, 75 degree weather, grown up time with Hubby and some of my favorite college foods. So, I'm certainly chalking this one up as a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~