So, a while back I headed to Panera and went to order my normal cold sandwich and some sort of soup or salad from the You-Pick-2 menu when I realized "KATIE GO OUTSIDE OF YOUR BUBBLE!" I've literally been going to Panera since high school and I swear I order the same thing nearly every time, BORING. So, I literally had an internal dialogue of "look up at the menu and the first thing you see - you're ordering that." (I know I know, you're insanely jealous of how cool my life is ... HA! insert sarcasm font).
Welp, I looked up and saw this "Ricotta Sacchetini with Chicken Broth Bowl"- say that 10 times fast - and I ordered it, and holy moly I'm so glad I did. Ya'll I don't know if it's really that good, or if my taste buds were just craving more than cold turkey and lettuce that day, but I'm happy about it either way. And even happier because last week I was bound and determined to try and recreate the recipe and GASP! I honestly think I may have succeeded.
Here are the deetz:
Ingredients (for 4 servings):
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1-2 (32 oz cartons) of chicken broth
- 1/2 bag (or about 9-10oz) of frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 head of broccoli (florets only)
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 1-2 lemons (reserve 4 slices for serving garnish)
- 4 handfuls fresh spinach (1 per bowl)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese + a little extra for garnish
- 5 tsp pesto
- S&P to taste
- Bring your broth to a little boil in your pretty Pioneer Woman dutch oven (oh wait, you don't love her as much as me? Well, then we can't be friends.)
- While you're waiting for the chicken to boil you can make good use of your time by doing things that will need to be done in a bit ... chop to tomatoes, chop your broccoli, shred your chicken, dance in the kitchen ... etc :)
- Add your little love bug pastas to the water and cook according to the package (like 5 minutes-ish)
- Bring your heat to med-low and add in your broccoli and tomatoes. Let them get all warm and cozy. You're really just cooking until the broccoli is bright and green and just a wee bit tender (truth be told, I overcooked my first batch and it was still super yummy ... but just an FYI)
- Now it's time to add some more flavor to your broth (yum) get your lemon going and squeeze in half that yummy juice.
- Also add your 5 teaspoons of pesto and give it all a stir so it gets real friendly. You can also add in your cheese and let it get all warm and gooey.
- Then add a big ole' handful of spinach to your bowl(s)
- Now, here comes the fun part ... ladle over a big heaping tablespoon of your yummy soup!
- Then add a lemon slice and another good squeeze of lemon juice to the bowl.
- Then top it with some chicken! (you can totally leave the chicken out if you want it to be vegetarian, or for that matter you could probably replace it with shrimp and it'd be delicious too) .. and also, next time I may grill my chicken for little different flavor, but rotisserie got the job done.
- Top it with some cheese and salt and pepper.
Seriously, such a light and healthy meal. To save some calories you could probably omit some of the cheese and add less pasta - because it won't really change the flavor that much - it will just make it a bit less hearty. But all in all, I'm chalking this one up as a win and plan to make it more often than not. Copycat success and I'm happy dancing all the way to broth bowl town (annnnd I'm going to pretend like I didn't just say that) Tomorrow is Tuesday, so let's hope the lame jokes stay back with Monday where they belong. Laterrrrr.