Monday, July 8, 2013

Recipe Monday: This is how we roll

Hiya kids! It's been a while since I've participated in my own Recipe Monday post ... but today I am back. And back with a vengeance, ya hearrrrrd?!

Okay, so if ya'll remember a while back hubs and I conjured up a plan with my pops, and surprised my momma on their extended vacay in the Bahamas.  Because I was roughly 5 months pregnant, I knew I needed a good paperback companion to keep me entertained, while hubs partied the vacay away :).  A coworker had suggested I read "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels" by The Pioneer Woman: Ree Drummond.  She thought I'd find it extremely relatable (a blogger + love story + pregnancy + a knack for cooking/baking).  Why yes, I'd say she was spot on. And I loved EVERY single page. 

I plan to do some book reviews this summer in my "down" time ... not that I'll be busy with a new baby or anything ;).  So, I'll do a full on review of the book when I get around to it. But for the time being trust me ... it's a good and easy read.
Throughout the book she shares a ton of recipes, in such a fun way.  You find out when and why she made them ... how some didn't go over so well etc. However, there was one recipe that from the moment I read about it in the book I simply knew I HAD to try it.  I don't know if that was the pregnancy talking or the fact that reading about it's deliciousness made the words and ingredients seemingly ooze off the page and forever create a delectable image in my mind - but either way, it's been on my to-do list since February.

And lucky for you ... the day has come. While I've been "working from home" these last couple of days before Baby Bennett made his big debut (Bennett reveal and birth story to come! ~ I promise ... the homecoming was not exactly how we imagined and it's taken a little extra time!), I've had to find EXTREMELY important things to do to keep me busy.  And making The Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls was at the top of the list, the tippy tip-top. So my momma accompanied me to the grocery store. And as of today, the recipe has been sampled and I am here to report: it will now forever be a staple in our household. I can't wait to make them around the holidays for everyone. GOOD GOLLY are they good ... and I promise they're good ... that is not the pregnancy talking. 
I followed her directions exactly as you'll find them in the link above .. so I'll spare a double dose of the same instructions, but below you will see my experience and the recipe itself.  

My only suggestion would be to let the dough sit in the fridge before heading straight away into the ingredient adding and dough rolling process.  I'm a bit of a perfectionist and although it obviously has absolutely zero affect on the taste ... the fact that they weren't as neatly rolled as they should have been led me to know I should have waited a little longer for them to chill. Fine by me however, that just means I need more practice and will have to make them again :0) DARN. She's also got some good pointers on her notes tab ... info about dough, freezing tips, etc.

Anyyyyways ... here's a peak into how things went down during my rendition.

OH. EM. GEE:  Cinnamon Rolls
The Roll Ingredients:
  • 1 quart whole milk
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 packages active dry yeast, 0.25 oz. packets
  • 8 cups (plus 1 cup extra, separated) all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp (heaping) baking powder
  • 1 tsp (scant) baking soda
  • 1 tbsp (heaping) baking soda
  • Plenty of melted butter (I used 1.5 cups)
  • 2 cups sugar (1 in dough, 1 in topping)
  • Generous sprinkling of cinnamon 
Maple Frosting Ingredients:

  • 1 bag powdered sugar (2lb bag)
  • 2 tsp maple flavoring
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used skim)
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/4 cup brewed coffee
  • 1/8 tsp salt (or generous pinch)

Mixing together the dough ... and finding things to do to occupy my time while I waited for it to rise.
 Getting the prep station ready to start rolling my rectangle. Next time I'll use a larger space, because I think I could have rolled the dough a little thinner and that would have helped to keep some shape.

 Adding the BUTTER. Ohhhhhh the butter ... don't be shy she's right. It makes them EXTRA delicious in the baking process.
 Adding the sugar and cinnamon. Next time I think I'll be even more generous with the cinnamon.
 During the cutting process.  She ain't kidding about the oozing. Check out the oozy mess ... YUM.
 Lining up the pans! Yippeee, this was before I popped em' in the oven.  This recipe made me 6 pans opposed to 7-8, but again I think had I rolled it a bit thinner and longer we'd be about spot on.
 Making the icing. OH. EM. GEE. I was skeptical with the maple and coffee as ingredients, but goodness gracious. In the end, it all comes together. HOLY delicious.
 "Drowning the puppies" in icing. Left is iced ... right is awaiting the delicious drizzle.
 All 6 of my beauts. GIMME GIMME. Gimme mooooore!
 The pie pan hubs and I chose for ourselves.  We agreed on the bottom right in the picture above ... which would you have chosen?
 INDULGENCE. And confession: I ate two.
 And the remaining 5 pie pans I neatly placed in our garage freezer (Ree says you can pop the frozen rolls in the oven at 250 degrees for 15 minutes and they're fine! We shall see). I thought they would be nice "thank you's" for our friends and family that will likely be bringing us baby dinners in the coming weeks :)  
And if I just so happen to forget to give them away ... then I guess I'll just have to eat them. Dang. What a rough life!

So there you have it folks. The bestest cinnamon rolls I've had to date. Seriously, make time to make them!

2 comments:

  1. This Recipe is looking very different like a bakery product. You can sale and earn money with it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~