Monday, July 29, 2013

Bennett: 1 Month

Wow, time flies! Our little dude has now been with us for an entire month, sheesh.  I can't believe hubs and I are actually normal, functioning parents in real life (okay, normal AND functioning might be strong words, but we're trying our darndest).

While we were having Bennett's newborn pics just 1 week after he took his first breath (which I am DYING to see by the way) a woman walked by ... got teary eyed, grabbed my hand and said boldly, "My sweet girl, don't blink. Do not blink and cherish every moment with this little guy. Time goes by way too fast." Boy was she right. A whole month?! I realize this is so little time in the grand scheme of things, but it seems so long already (yes, this is indeed the crazy "they grow up too fast" mother syndrome...)  But seriously, how did that happen? Just yesterday we were gathering our things to bring you home and reliving your birth story!

Well ... it happened. So I guess I have no other option than to get over it and move on.  So, let's start by jumping on the proverbial "I'm that mom" mommy band wagon and recap your first month of life with monthly photo ops and overly descriptive notes, shall we? 
Uhm, Duh. 
Yes. Yes, we shall.
Hey I'll even use my fancy camera and cool Mac software and call myself an amateur photographer, just because I can. And maybe because I'm a little stir crazy ... Mayyybe.

Anywhoodles ... Mister Bennett, happy 1 month anniversary baby BUB.  


How big are you?

  • At your 2 week appointment, you weighed 7 pounds and 14 ounces (25th percentile), and were 21.75 inches long (75th percentile) {Your numbers were somewhere close to this ... mommy was too sick to take you and daddy didn't get the actual numbers, so we're sort of guessing based off what he remembers ... silly boy! ... we'll do better next time!}. I know you've grown a lot since then, but regardless you're a precious peanut. Long and lean :)
  • You have another check-up in 2 weeks and I cannot wait to see how much you've grown when we go back for that appointment. 
What's your temperament?

  • You have QUITE the personality, little man. But overall you are the most happy and seriously GOOD baby. We sure lucked out with how great you are. 
  • You love to be held and being swaddled is your absolute favorite (although your PaPaw always says "Do you really think he likes his arms tied down like that? I would HATE it!" hehehe, silly PaPaw).
  • We're starting to learn your cries and sorry but we do laugh at your continual "awahh, wahh" noise -- wish I had a sound byte to enter here
  • You've started to find your voice and Oh. Em. Gee. is it enough to make your momma melt. Your coos and gurgles are the sweetest noises I've ever heard.  
  • You have also most definitely discovered your tongue and love to stick it out at anyone that will look (you're starting to look like your momma  posing for pictures after a few drinks)
How much are you eating?

  • First of all, you love to eat (you most DEFINITELY got your daddy's appetite). I tell everyone you'd eat 24 hours a day if I let you :) 
  • You were breast fed for 2 weeks before mommy's rash got the best of her and I had to stop because of the medicine and steroids I was put on.  But you switched to Similac advanced formula and have made a seemingly smooth transition.  
  • You started eating 2oz nearly every 2-3 hours, but quickly informed us that simply wasn't enough to keep you satisfied. Now you're eating nearly 3oz at almost every feeding (again about every 2-3 hours).  And you get the occasional 1-2oz snack if you start sucking those little hands of yours (this is a Bennett favorite).
  • In addition to your awesome appetite you are what the doctors refer to as "An Aggressive Eater".  Seriously. At a 3am feeding the other night I woke up your daddy because I was laughing so hard at the noises you make.  You grunt and growl all the way through the first ounce - you name it, if you can make that sound it comes out. You want your food and you will make it be known.
What are you sporting?

  • You are still in newborn diapers, we're Pampers people and they seem to keep you extra happy. Plus I'm a big fan of that blue line that let's us know if you're wet or not.
  • You've given your daddy about 3 golden showers ... I've managed to walk away with only one.  However, I think we're starting to master the art of changing a diaper ... knock on wood!
  • You're in between newborn and 0-3 month attire.  You've already grown out of some of your newborn stuff, but depending on the brand you can still get into some of it.
How are you sleeping?

  • You normally sleep right at 1.5-2 hours when you nap
    • Your daytime naps take place in your swing, in my arms and occasionally in your pack and play
    • And sometimes we have to get creative with the Boppy 
    • You sleep both non-swaddled and in a blanket swaddle at nap time
  • But you are an EXCELLENT night time sleeper and we can usually get at least a 4-5 hour stint out of you from the hours between 10pm-5am (somewhere in between those times)
    • You are currently sleeping in mommy and daddy's room in a bassinet attachment from your pack and play that fits snuggly inside an arm's reach co-sleeper next to our bed
    • Our goal soon is to get you out of the bassinet attachment and into the sleeper, more in your back and less cocooned (selfish nerves ... i fear you will not sleep for long periods of time this way at first)
    • You wear a Velcro swaddle-me at nighttime
  • Mommy is on night shift feeding because your daddy has to get up early to work, and he takes the morning shift so I can snooze an extra hour or 2
Bennett Likes and Dislikes:

  • Likes:
    • Your hands .. you are a total suck face
    • Tummy time .. you LOVE it
    • The sound sleeper "mountain river" noise .. your absolute fave
    • Car rides ... they lull you right to sleep
    • Your swing ... you've come around to this one ... it took about 2.5 weeks until you cared for it
  • Dislikes:
    • Mommy on the computer (I swear the child has computer radar and melts down the moment I try to type)
    • Being burped
      • you are NOT a good burper. Your neck is too strong for your own good and you're super pissed feeding time is being interrupted :)
    • Stoplights and traffic ... you want the car moving ... at all times


Fun moments, favorite notes, Bennett quirks & Milestones:

  • Watching you during tummy time is so much fun...you get so excited and start pushing up your arms, legs, and your head. You are SO strong!
    • Milestone: YOU ROLLED OVER!
    • From your belly to your back - 3.5 weeks old!
    • This is often a 3-4 month milestone, so to say you're ahead of the game is an understatement!
  • You celebrated your first holiday ... The 4th of July!
  • Grandma helped to decorate the house so all of your visitors and neighbors know you'd officially arrived
  • We had our first official family outing to Mike Linnigs
  • Your first babysitting adventure with Grandma
  • You experienced your first and second Wednesday gals night ...Bennett your aunts are AWESOME. Thanks to them your daddy and I have actually had real meals ... thank heavens :)
  • You sleep in the absolute most adorable positions
  • Capturing your smiles is a personal challenge of mine and I get wayyy too excited when I get a good one
Life with you is absolutely awesome Bennett, and I can only imagine just how much fun these next months are going to be because of you. Daddy and I are so in love with you!

More 1 Month photo faves:





Until next month ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~