Tuesday, August 30, 2016

A Final Letter to My Favorite Pen Pal

We laid my sweet grandmother, Elaine, to her final resting place Monday, August 29th in her hometown of Williamsburg, OH. It was a tearful final goodbye as we said an earthly fairwell to one of the sweetest ladies I have ever known. Several months ago when I went to visit her, I wrote her a letter and wanted to leave it here today to honor her. I love you grandma.


Grandma,

Ever since I was a little girl, you have always held a forever special place in my heart. Your creative, loving spirit had a way of making even the most normal situations magical. You were my first pen pal and that coupled with my dad's encouragement brought forth a love of writing, that later led me to my blog. I look back at all of these posts and can't help but become emotional thinking what a great gift this will be to leave for my children one day as a small glimpse into their life as a child. And so much of this was rooted in a small seed you planted and cultivated in me as a young child by teaching me to write and share. Again, magical.

Your zest for life and fun combined with our contagious laughter and mischievous spirit are qualities I greatly admire. My mom tells me I have inherited many of them and that thoughts makes me smile bright. You have always been one of my biggest cheerleaders and I knew without a shadow of a doubt when God gifted me a beautiful daughter of my own, one of the best gifts I could give her is the legacy of your name to proudly carry on. I promise for as long as she will allow me, I will place pearl barrettes in her hair in honor of you.  I will be sure to tell her they are creative gemstones that will help her imagination thrive and colors appear more vivid, to which only a true artist like yourself can appreciate.

Moreover, pig cookies will remain a staple in our home. I am currently in the process of typing your recipes and heir looming them for the entire family.  One of my favorites is obviously your pig cookie recipe that will always be in our kitchen to remember fondly and cherish. Many of my childhood memories in the kitchen involve you and I hold them near and dear to my heart. Another love of mine I credit from you. You always made sure to let me lick the spoon and feel included. And to a young girl, that is the best of all. My love for baking and cooking began with you.

I have the fondest memories of coming to stay at your house when I was young. You would always place a cool sheet on the floor and make a special picnic while I watched whatever new Disney movie Grandpa had purchased. (I'm fairly certain I often chose The Little Mermaid or Lady and The Tramp).

I was so blessed in having you as my grandmother. You have always been a bright north star guiding my life and my love for you is immeasurable. You have impacted my life in so many ways. And namely, in being a wonderful mother to my mom. You gave her the tools to raise me and my brothers and she and my dad have done a heck of a job in my opinion! She had a fabulous role model to show her how and I am forever grateful.

You are one of the strongest and most genuine women I have ever met, and you remain always and forever in my heart. A constant reminder to laugh with the good, hell even with the bad. Simple is often better and to remember to make the most of every situation. Because a picture can still be pretty, even if you color outside the lines!

I love you,
Katie Bugg

 photo signature2_zpsk2krzmg0.png

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet sweet letter!! Your grandmother seemed like a lovely woman!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~