Monday, August 19, 2013

Recipe Monday: Oreo Layer Dessert

Even though Bennett is still a baby and won't be eating "real" food for quite sometime; I already daydream about all of the fun foods I'll be making for him in the future.  Okay, and maybe I imagine myself eating them as well ;) such a great excuse. 

A couple of weeks hubs and I hosted a family get together and I went back and forth on which dessert I wanted to serve. I started racking my brain on summer faves/kiddo favorites and had a FOR SERIOUS craving for some dirt pudding. Such a kiddy summer staple. But I wanted a more grown up version that would look pretty and not be so cutesy.  I stumbled upon a great "adult version" of a childhood favorite.  I doubled the recipe and put it in a pretty round serving dish opposed to a 9x13 pan ... but I'll share the original because I had SOO many leftovers, I think the regular recipe would be JUST fine.

Oreo Layer Dessert.

Ingredients
  • 1 pkg of regular Oreos
  • 1/2 c. of butter
  • 1 lg box of instant chocolate pudding
  • 2-8 oz cool whips
  • 8 oz. of cream cheese, softened
  • 1 c. powdered sugar
Crush the whole package of cookies either with a food processor, or in a bag and a rolling pin.  Save a 1/2 c. to sprinkle on top of dessert when it's done.  Pour remaining crumbs in a 13x9 pan.  Melt butter and pour into crumb mix.  Stir it up good and press crumbs in bottom of pan to make a crust.  
Make chocolate pudding according to package directions and let it setup in the fridge.
In a mixing bowl blend cream cheese until nice and smooth and then add powdered sugar, mix.  Then fold in 1-8 oz thing of cool whip.  
Top Oreo layer with cream cheese mix, then pudding, then your last 8 oz thing of cool whip, and then sprinkle remaining Oreos on top.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Devour. Noms.


3 comments:

  1. I made this for homecoming at our church a few weeks ago and it was the first dessert to go. The only thing I will do different this time tho is not mix the cookies with the butter and pack in the bottom of the dish. When they started dipping, it was hard on the bottom and so nobody would dip that far and I had a hard cookie clunck in the bottom. It was really yummy and pretty tho. That is all I would change. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO ONE IS GETTING ANY :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~