Monday, January 21, 2013

Recipe Monday: Baked SPASAGNA!

Hubs and I have a sweet friend who just bought a house and I've been meaning to make him a housewarming dinner.  My go to "bringing over dinner" dish is my sister-in-law's baked spaghetti.  Because, let's be honest: its easy, delicious, and who doesn't love a good home cooked spaghetti?!

However, when I stumbled across this fancy versioned baked spaghetti (a friend posted a pic on Instagram, and I immediately asked she share the recipe) - I knew I had to try it out.  It combines all things great: a pseudo baked spaghetti, while adding in the creamy goodness of a lasagna. 
Hole-YYYY Toledo. Yes please! And I'll have seconds.


Now, I will caution you, this is not by any means a light meal - and my normal "you can eliminate the butter or save a few calories like this" techniques do not apply to this recipe.  It calls for A LOT MASSIVE quantities of cheese, but trust me - it's totally worth it. Another note - this recipe makes A LOT!  I had originally planned to make 2 small casseroles, 1 for dinner and the other for Mike - but I ended up being able to make 2 pretty good sized portions.  Did I hear someone say - CHEAT DAY! - why yes, yes I did.

So, here's the skinny ooey goodness... 

"Baked Spasagna"

Ingredients: (I tweaked these just a hair from the original recipe)


  • 24 oz spaghetti (I used angel hair, but that's just because that's our household preference, any thickness will do)
  • 32 oz mozzarella cheese, grated or shredded (YES - 2 lbs of CHEESE!)
  • 8 oz ricotta cheese
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • 1 1/4 cups half & half
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese - divided
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp minced garlic (or a little more - it's whatever :)
  • 1 jar (26 oz spaghetti sauce) - this is what the recipe called for originally -- Hubs really likes saucy pasta so I knew better and added nearly 3/4 the jar of the big plastic Prego jars - I think those are like 64 oz)
  • 1 lb Italian sausage
  • 1 lb ground beef (here was another change I made - the original recipe called for only 1 lb Italian sausage or ground beef, but just like in my baked spaghetti we like meaty sauces - so I used a 1 lb of both)
  • 1/3 chopped onion - for meat sauce (again, an addition - I just feel I need onion anytime I brown beef)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook spaghetti according to package, drain. (LOTS of spaghetti and my big strainer was in the dishwasher - I was losing noodles left and right!)




In large bowl stir together sour cream, ricotta, half-and-half, mozzarella, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, garlic, and half the Parmesan. 


Add spaghetti and toss until well coated - seriously well coated. You won't have another chance to get flavor on each of those noodles!  Next, pour spaghetti mixture into a 9x13 pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray (as you can see, I was able to fill a 9x13 and a 9x6(ish) pan with EASE).  Cover dish(es) with aluminum foil and bake 30 minutes.


While pasta is baking, prepare meat sauce. Brown Italian sausage, ground beef, and onion (or whatever you decide to use) in skillet. Drain and return to skillet.  Add spaghetti sauce and simmer.


Remove pasta from oven. Cut into square and top with meat sauce.  Spread sauce evenly among all noodles. 


Top with remaining Parmesan cheese. DEVOUR!



And that's it folks: Baked Spasagna ... Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I enjoy what you guys are up too. This kind of clever
    work and exposure! Keep up the superb works guys I've incorporated you guys to my own blogroll.

    Feel free to visit my web blog - camo cargo pants

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciating the time and effort you put into your site and detailed information you offer.
    It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same outdated rehashed material.
    Excellent read! I've saved your site and I'm adding your RSS feeds to my Google
    account.

    Also visit my webpage; cargo pants women

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm assuming having a blog like
    yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100% certain. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

    My homepage - Drug Abuse Intervention

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. Such clever work and
    coverage! Keep up the superb works guys I've added you guys to my own blogroll.

    Here is my weblog; vera wang shoes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Quick quеstion that's completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when viewing from my iphone. I'm trying to find a template оr plugin that might be аble to fix this iѕsue.
    If you hаve any recommendatіοns, pleaѕe share.

    Appreciate it!

    Also visit my page; http://Www.Runningshoescenter.com/top-rated-running-shoes-and-the-process-of-finding-whats-right-for-you
    Also see my web page: lightweight running shoes for women

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good day! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?

    There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you

    my page - garnierspotcorrector.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This blog looks ϳust liκe my olԁ οne!
    It's on a entirely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!

    Also visit my web-site :: Best Electronic Cigarettes

    ReplyDelete
  8. My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .
    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on a number of websites for about a year and am concerned about
    switching to another platform. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress content into it?
    Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

    Here is my page :: math games 7th grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know whether it's just me or if everyone else encountering issues with your blog.
    It appears as though some of the text on your posts are running off the screen.
    Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well?
    This may be a problem with my web browser because I've had this happen previously. Thanks

    Feel free to visit my web page: worldofgreentea.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heya! I know this is somewhat off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does running a well-established website like yours require
    a large amount of work? I am brand new to operating a blog however
    I do write in my journal daily. I'd like to start a blog so I can share my personal experience and thoughts online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for new aspiring bloggers. Appreciate it!

    Stop by my web page catering jobs in nyc

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off I want to say great blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing.

    I have had trouble clearing my mind in getting my ideas
    out. I truly do take pleasure in writing but it just seems
    like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost just trying to figure out how to begin.

    Any recommendations or hints? Many thanks!

    my web site: coupons for diapers

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Your comments make my day - and I read each and every one of them. I'd love to be able to respond so make sure your email address is set up with your profile ~